Google Cardboard – A detailed insight of making and working
Have you ever wished for an immersive addictive 3D experience while using an app? Now you can make it a reality with Google Cardboard, the best virtual reality app viewer. Get Google Cardboard attached with your mobile and experience a dream come true with your smartphone.
What exactly is Google Cardboard?
It is a virtual reality device delivering a platform for 3D visual experience. It consists of a cardboard with a fold out for mounting it on your mobile phone. There are special VR applications experienced with the help of this cardboard letting you immersed completely in apps or games presenting a virtual world in front of your eyes. You can either purchase a readymade cardboard or assemble components mentioned on Google website to create one of your own.
Creating a Google Cardboard
As mentioned earlier, if you want to have a customized experience of your own, you can create the device by yourself. It is not that simple; however, with some help you can definitely create one. You need a rubber band, a Velcro made loop or hook fastener, capacitive taps or magnets, 45mm length focal lenses, and cardboard pieces of specific shapes as well as sizes. Find out how to create Google Cardboard following a systematic process.
Mounting the device
One you have assembled the kit or made a readymade purchase, it is time now to use it with your smartphone. Insert the smartphone towards the back of the device and hold it in place with a Velcro strap fastening it tight. This will held the device altogether with the phone. Once everything arranged, a specialized smartphone app will divide the screen display image into two for both eyes. The result is a stereoscopic 3D image because of barrel distortion countering pincushion distortion.
Why use Google Cardboard?
Google Cardboard’s VR experience is more than just enjoyable. Entering a whole new virtual reality world is something every techno savvy user has dreamed of. What we experienced was beyond expectations as Cardboard turned out to be even more than a mere do it yourself (DIY) toy. It might sound funny, but a combination of plastic lenses, magnets, Velcro strips, and cardboard, brought to the table an amazing visual treat, alarming the world regarding Google’s serious entry in virtual reality arena.
- It is a real inexpensive device to experience virtual reality fun using any kind of smartphone device.
- It is so cheaply available that it is affordable by anybody.
- It is so simple to build and use that even a child can put it together.
- It is so easy to handle due to its relatively lightweight that you can hold any large sized phone.
- The kind of immersive experience it provides might be on a preliminary level, but it is highly accessible by anyone who has a smartphone and wants to gain entry into virtual reality world.
- Positioning and head tracking within the device through gyroscopes and accelerometers is superbly responsive.
- Apps you experience are absolutely sharp and bright that delivers a clear display.
- It is a door to virtual reality through just a mobile phone.
A few drawbacks
- Since it is extremely simple, it delivers a basic level 3D experience that cannot be compared with high-end VR goggles like Vive, Gear VR, or Oculus.
- It is not a serious entry or even a threat to best in the class VR devices.
- With most apps, you cannot move swiftly in all directions compromising on both speed and navigation largely.
- Do not deliver VR experience for long hours use. The device meant for quick use only for a limited time, not for apps that are graphic heavy and the ones that drain too much battery.
The final verdict
Google Cardboard is fun, entertaining, and very inexpensive. Moreover, it can be used with any iOS or Android device. However, extremely simplistic experience will not match up to top notch virtual reality goggles. Without any doubt, the device surely acts as a brand ambassador promoting the use of virtual reality apps and devices on smartphone.
Fusion Informatics has been favoring such devices long since the inception and will continue to make apps for such devices promoting technological shifts with every passing year.
You may be interested
Mobile Micro Apps Boosting Employees ProductivityAshesh Shah - Feb 15, 2018
Today's technology market offers numerous options for businesses to connect with employees wherever they are. With an average person using…
Machine Learning, the New Business Intelligence:Ashesh Shah - Jan 31, 2018
It’s 2018, there’s no doubt about the fact that the world is aware of the wonders one can of do…